Sunday, December 5, 2010

What's The Big Deal About Christian College? Part 4


Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

The 4th benefit of Bible college is the emphasis on the local Church. It is safe to say that secular universities do not emphasize local church involvement. I imagine that secular university dormitories are filled with sleepping college students on Sunday morning. Why, because they were too busy partying the night before, or perhaps they just didn't prepare to make church a priority in their life. I know what some of you are thinking. I'm 18 year old. I'm a man I can make my own decision about going to church. That's true. You can, but if you are going to make the right decision about church attendance and involvement then you won't care if a Bible college requires you to attend and serve. The only people this type of requirement would bother are those who do not want to go to church.

Bible college provides a positive accountability to be involved in church. Some might ask, "What's the big deal about being involved in church?" I'm glad you asked. First of all, church is not my design. Jesus Christ created the local church. Jesus Christ began the local church. He established while he was on earth. He died for it on the cross. He commissioned it before he left, and empowered it on the day of penetecost. He promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against it. In short, God is working through the local church to carry his message to a lost and dying world. I don't know about you, but regardless of my occupation or field of study, I want to be involved in what God is involved in.

You may have never thought about this before, and I may be the first person to ever tell you this, but it is more important that you are involved in God's local church than it is for you to have a career. Now, while I don't believe you have to choose between the two, there is a clear priority.

A strong Bible college pushes everything back to the local church. That is a big deal. Hopefully by the time you leave for college, you have already determined to be committed to local church attendance and ministry, but if you haven't God will use a strong Bible college to continue to work in your heart about this matter. You will have four more years to allow God to show you how important it is to be connect to a group of believer that are actively fulfilling the Great Commission of Matthew 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment